The following conversation took place this Sunday:
(Young british man and American girl walk down the stairs of an apartment building)
American Girl: "Oh look! Is that a black lightbulb?"
(picks up said object)
British Guy: "Ummmm..."
AG: "Ooh, or is it a small doorknob?"
BG: "Um, sweetie, that's a crackpipe."
AG: (freezing) "I'm...going...to go upstairs and wash my hands."
Ah yes, the apartment building I know and love has a resident crackhead. (The title of this post is literally a sign posted in the common area of the building). There are literally too many ways that I find this humorous...I'll leave the comments to you.
On a completely unrelated note,
Desperate Housewives is a really crappy show. I would use the word "horrible," but that might suggest it might be corrupt or immoral, which would then make it interesting. It involves a few themes which are annoying at best, obnoxious at most:
1. The 4 stereotypes of women:
Slutty, OCD, Goofy, Mothery
These are the EXACT archetypes used in Sex and the City (Samantha, Miranda, Carrie, Charlotte..obvi) and, frankly, I'm sick of them. Not to mention that both Sex and the City and DH are written by MEN. Unsurprisingly, the characters are rigid puppets rather than actual characters.
2. Suburbia
It creeps me out.
3. The "It's not really funny but we call it a comedy anyways" ddea
Yeah, much like Sex and the City, one rarely laughs watching Desperate Housewives. Why are they called comedies? Do the expect a reaction like:
"Oh haha, that Eva Longoria, she certainly likes money! and sleeping with men!" "Oh haha, look at Teri Hatcher do something silly like fall into a bush naked! Wow, we've never seen THAT before!"
Not a theme, but it gets a number anyways:
4. Hypocrisy:
I have watched hours upon hours of this show on www.tv-links.co.uk. And it makes me angry. And yet, I still watch. We always still watch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
fran -
good to see you're back in the game. a few comments, though:
- Desperate Housewives is most certainly a comedy. It's just not a sitcom, because it's humor is not based on sticky situations. It's a character-driven comedy. I haven't seen that much of it, but the characters are good, if stereotypical. And you're right, that can only go so far. DH reminds me a little bit of an inferior version of HBO's "Weeds". Have you seen that? You should. It starts the chick who plays Ruth in "Fried Green Tomatoes," who is so hot.
- SATC was created and mostly produced by men, but they had one of the biggest writing staffs in all of TV, which included a LOT of women (check out the website... it lists screenwriters by episode). Elisa Zuritsky and her partner writer, whose name I forget, wrote some of the best episodes.
...Not that I watch any of this shit. That would be totally gay.
On an unrelated not, check this out. It is the (count 'em!) 4th blog in which I am involved:
boondogglers.wordpress.com
-Robbie.
Post a Comment