Thursday, February 04, 2010

"Oh. Mon. Dieu. Becky. Regarde son cul..."

The rumours are true. I had heard a lot of things about French gyms/the French gym-going population. So far belonging to a gym has not been a disappointment.

The anthropological study began in the changing room.
I'm not particularly shy, but the French have fewer cultural boundaries about staring, and apparently this rule still applies without clothes.

Like a boring remake of the opening scene of Carrie, I found myself in a sea of skinny white French women. They all have one distinguishing feature. Apologies in advance, but I don't know else to put this...They all have Really. Flat. Asses.
A North American friend had mentioned this, but I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own scornful eyes.
I spent 30 seconds enjoying a newly-found, round-bum superiority complex. But then, a Twilight Zone-esque realisation: In the land of flat-assed woman, she with the curves is the freak (or the pig under the operating mask, as it were).

Humbled, I limp over to the cardio machines, subtly trying to make my T shirt into a dress.

Now, the configuration of the cardio room must be inspired by an Eastern German psychological experiment. The ellipticals (dominated by women) are lined up so that you are head-to-head with a line of treadmills (dominated by soft-bellied men)

For 45 minutes or more, you can elliptical-run through the air, hurtling faster and faster toward a balding Frenchman. Not exactly as pleasant as watching TV, but it's definitely motivating. (Keep running, chubbykins, this could be you...)

I take my place in the trenches of the sweaty, never-ending war of the sexes.
Luckily, some of the treadmills face the dance room.
I slot on my headphones and watch the cardio boxing class. Those impossibly thin, un-bummed women are now screaming and punching the air, more or less in synch. It's just as hilarious as you could imagine.

Hitting a fast pace on the treadmill, beating the flubby cadre next to me, my gym ego gets a boost. Comparatively freakish ass, maybe. But look at me! I can Run and Run and Run.

But just then, my iPod takes a nosedive off the shelf, flying on the treadmill carpet into the wall.
In what may be the first sign of budding maternal instinct, I dive after my iPod, falling onto the treadmill, and crashing onto the floor.
Quietly squeaking with pain, I pick up my iPod, get back on the treadmill, and notice that noone has even flinched at the sight of the sweaty blonde flying into a wall.

Well, apparently that doesn't just happen in movies.
Please stop calling me Bridget Jones, though. Really.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

One of my favorite games to play is the Turn Your Shirt Into a Skirt Game! Especially when I fail to pack a replacement pair of pants or skirt in my gym bag, so then I'm stuck with just leggings and a shirt!

It was a sad day, actually...

Unknown said...

wow - fantastic story. Is it sad that it reminded me of one time at Hopkins when something similar occurred and still noone batted an eye?

btw - can you really have visitors on the houseboat?

~Keith said...

BWAH HAHAHAHA! I miss your crazy antics.

Knile said...

I didn't notice the title on the first read, but looked up your post to send to a friend and saw it the second time around. Nice work.