Wednesday, February 28, 2007

fat and razy americans!

My postings seem more and more reminiscent of the front half of Atlantic Monthly. Hey, you want a novel? Read a book. This is a blog.

So, in keeping with the trend of copping out, I'm going to compile my favorite back-handed anti-American insults in no particular order of ridiculousness.

1. (as I'm walking up 5 flights of stairs w/another British girl)
me, oct.2006: "Man, I'm so out of shape" (or some idle small talk along those lines)
british girl: "Don't worry you'll get used to the walking"

I came almost directly from Paris, slut. Why don't you call me a fat, lazy American and save both of us some time.

2. me: "Yeah, I'm doing an LLM in Islamic Law."
british man: "Islamic Law? That's progressive for an American!"

There are so many sarky responses to that comment, I don't even know where to begin. Guy ended up being really pleasant in the end, but, really. I had to do my best from jabbing my heel into his eye. Or stoning him. (heh)


3. (potential house viewer #1): "Well, the flat's lovely and i do really love Americans..."
Thank you, I think? For once, it's nice to be in a desirable minority. Awesome! I'm a commodity !

4. (every French person, just generally) "C'est trop Americain, ca..."
(in just about every situation)

You could be sitting next to a Parisian who is eating a cheeseburger and fries, and order yourself a portion. "God, you're so American!" they'd scoff. Whereas, luckily, un cheeseburgeur is oh-so-French.

Gah! I'm drawing a blank here, but this is really just the tip of the iceberg.
Look for updates. Peoples' pre-conceptions about America/Americans never cease to amaze me. Almost as amazing as Americans' perceptions of Europe.

xoxo


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Franny H! im lovin your work

Sarah