It's fairly calm, and anything but tacky. Damn you, Paris, and your overbearing good taste. I can only compare it to the small town of Nyborg, Denmark where I spent late November; a town full of people I adore, but also a town that decorates by attaching plush, life-sized gnomes to every building.
It's borderline horrifying. Essentially, the town hall decided to deck the halls with festive suicidal midgets. Nothing says 'Christmas' like small people trying to fling themselves out windows!
Now, Paris does let itself go a little bit, when it comes to storefronts.
Behold, the Moschino Cheap & Chic window on Rue de Grenelle:

What isn't fabulous about this? Adorable Christmas figures plunged into a life of destitution and crime after seeing their portfolios disintegrate: "C'EST LA CRISE" ! And on some basic level, everyone passing by is forced to realise that this is the only way they could afford those frustratingly cute aubergine dresses on display.
Thank you, Moschino. For reminding us of JUST HOW POOR WE REALLY ARE. (Note the gnome playing look out in the corner...maybe he'll migrate North to Denmark to off himself once his life of crime fizzles).
And then. There's Galaries Lafayette.
They've never disappointed in the past. They've been consistently creative and yet, it seems they've passed the 'creative' mark and gone straight to..well...uhh...drugs..

Oh YES, those really are babies smoking opium pipes on top of that mushroom. Now THAT is the spirit of Christmas, my friends: Newborns smoking Class A drugs. It makes me feel all warm and cozy inside.
The biggest question here is what this is supposed to sell? Crack? Baby dolls? Crack babies? I'm willing to guess this window has the opposite effect its designers intended:
Instead of ushering their children to see this window, if I were a parent I would corral my kids away..."SHIELD YOUR EYES, JIMMY, NOTHING TO SEE HERE! REMEMBER WHAT WE LEARNED ABOUT NOT ACCEPTING 'CANDY' FROM STRANGERS?!"
...Merry Christmas from Paris.

3 comments:
they're smoking shisha, not opium!
details, details...
You can put a lot in shisha, anyways.
The point remains the same: BABIES. SMOKING.
Hi!
Post a Comment