Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Ceci n'est pas du "pop"

Foreword: OLGIP isn't going devolve into a music blog. I'm pretentious, often about music, but I know my limits.

My music taste varies.
From painfully embarrassing screechy Euro technopop (I cannot believe I'm admitting this on my increasingly public blog) :



..to respectable, awesome, Baltimore-based Future Islands, described on their website as "Electro synthpop"



The common tie is "pop". Why does everyone needlessly apply that word to music that I like. Is it just to shame me? I think music journalists just enjoy tacking on as many adjectives as possible before "pop" because it provides a little zazz at the end.
"When I hear your voice I think : 'Nails-on-a-chalkboard-pop"

Even the sonority of the word is annoying. It reminds me of that stupid College game: "What region are you from - what do you call carbonated drinks?" devised to taunt the dweeby kid from the Midwest who inevitably chimes in  - "It's POP, man! Pahhhhhp!"
You know what? It's a stupid name for soda, and it's a stupid name to call every artist or song that I like. (This is not my fault, this is a fundamental problem with the music industry)

Still, I think I should try and wean myself off of all of this so-called "pop" music. Here are a few songs that I love that I have discovered or re-discovered  in the past 6 months that are NOT pop. But I can't be completely objective here.

Let's play a game, children : Pop or not Pop?

Minimalish beachside pop?
or Not Pop?:



Sobbing over your ex's Facebook page-pop?
or
Not Pop? 


EELS - That Look You Give That Guy - from HOMBRE LOBO from EELS on Vimeo.


Tattooed whiny French girl folkpop?
or
Not Pop?


Coeur de Pirate || Comme des enfants from Dare To Care Records on Vimeo.

Ten-to-Fifteen, don't do drugs, kids- pop?
or Not Pop?



Fine, this post had nothing to do with France other than the fact that France has egged on my pop habit. But the title is an over-used Magritte meme in France. That should count for something.

Anyways, help me with my pop habit, please.

5 comments:

chris garroway (de coninck) said...

I admit I REALLY find that embarassingly screechy VIP song pretty catchy...That, and the Ghostface song. Thanks!

FCH said...

:) Electrovamp are the most genius Scottish-twin-sister-electro-pop group of our time.

Unknown said...

Franny, listen. As some one who has been told they have terrible taste in music, i.e listens to pop, none of that odd music on your website was pop! Sheeesh ;-)

FCH said...

Correction: The greatest Welsh/Irish-just-plain-sisters-electropop group of our time.

And yes, Al, you reassure me with your horrendous music taste. :)

Busy B said...

Fran, my dear Miami friend, for your information the bitch named Coeur de Pirate is from Quebec, which is, obviously, not France. Thanks God for that.