Sunday, October 22, 2006

Here's to you, wallet

I've tried to adapt since I've come to England.

I can dance with one hand raised, punching the air, to just about any song. Similarly, my butt and hips have become redundant while dancing.

Furthermore, I enjoy celebrating the various holidays and celebrations of the UK. Here in London, The Brick Lane Festival was pretty sweet, and I'm looking forward to a cozy British Christmas season.

Unfortunately, my wallet decided to celebrate a holiday of it's own--
The (british) National ID Fraud Prevention Week. By getting itself stolen. I kid you not: http://www.moneyextra.com/features/feature-national-identity-024347.html

There is a British National ID Fraud Prevention week, FAR different from the American National ID Fraud protection week, which is in February. Why we need two different weeks for prevention and protection, I don't know. Why even we need these weeks AT ALL is a greater mystery. AND perhaps the greatest mystery of all is why my wallet wanted to martyr itself in the hands of some Pikey.

At least I am, entirely-accessories included-getting into the spirit of things. And so, I raise my glass to you, wallet, as you suffer a painful death in the hands of some icky vagrant. At least you know how to celebrate.

Wallet, far right, treating itself to some beers, circa February 2006

4 comments:

Robbie said...

fran -

is it allowed, in life, to complain about jack straw's cultural insensitivity towards muslims in one blog post, but then in another, adjacent blog post, refer to the person who took your wallet as both "some Pikey," and an "icky vagrant"? because i say, yes, it is allowed, but i want to get the ball rolling on this discussion.

also, are you ever going to thank me for giving you the idea to become joint partners in girls gone abroad?

also, is girls gone abroad ever going to go abroad?

also, did you give jess beaton the idea to blog? because that shit is hilarious.

-robbie

FCH said...

Robbie.

Thank you. I'm sorry I never got a chance to thank you, dear leader, and I'm glad to see you're awaiting the launch of GGA.

Furthermore, I agree with you. it is allowed, especially because the two are completely unrelated.

I'm not a fan of long-running arguments conducted on blogs, but let me say this...I consider my observation of icky vagrants to be merely epistemological. I saw some very unhygienic fellows at the back of the bar shortly after my wallet disappeared. I would call them "icky." And I may be making a leap, but I'd also say they might've stolen my wallet, and they do seem to fit the description of what I am told a "pikey" would look like.

In regards to Mr. Straw, I'll reiterate that he's simply not living up to his obligations as a public official, especially, as he represents a borough with a large number of Muslim residents. Essentially, he is discouraging his constituents to see him, Muslim or otherwise, which is a failure to the people he represents. AND setting a bad example in a country grappling with multiculturalism.

It's not about sensitivity or political correctness, my dear. I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

And to answer your last question, Why don't you ask Miss Jess Beaton?

In any case, keep up your blogging, India looks wonderfully exciting.

-F

Anonymous said...

What you don't see is the after shot - when Wallet tried to run out of the bar without paying the bill. Ironic, no? Maybe ironic's not the right word, BUT WHO KNEW WALLET HAD LEGS!? Zoinks!

Robbie said...

nono,

you've missed my point!

contrary to my record with human rights felowships, etc, i fully support cultural insensitivity!

i don't want no discussion!

i was commending your cultural insensitivity, and tacitly, jack straw's!

you know a "pikey" is a gypsy, right?

-rw