Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Like sex on two wheels.

'Post more regularly,' they say. When the fans speak, I've got to listen.
There haven't been any large, embarassing or super-interesting moments recently, and thus, I've been hesitant to write. But, I'm in London- nothing's really ever that boring.

And so, with a slight nod to Alice Carney, I present to you, what's hot/not, L-Town version.

What's Hot:

Having classmates wear burqas. It definitely shakes up any image you might have of them being oppressed shrinking violets. On the contrary, I'm intimidated. The class we have together is Islamic Law- In an academic debate, one of us follows an interpretation of it, and one doesn't...!(not to mention all the various sunna that I'm learning I would be breaking...)

What's Not:
The awkwardness that came when I realized I had NO way of recognizing them outside of the classroom. I mean, we're not talking minimalist, sparkly, multi-colored veils here. I mean, up-to-the-eyelids black gowns, transforming them into black flying squirrels. And so I end up awkwardly waving at both of the girls at SOAS that wear them, not knowing which one I sat next to in class...


Especially Not Hot:

British Home Secretary Jack Straw expressing his desire that women not wear them (at least when they're talking to him..) articleness: --although it must be said it's been blown up more in the press than what he actually said...why is he spoiling for this fight?!

Hot:

The Healthy Urban Lifestyle. A phrase first coined by Joseph, it refers to walking everywhere (and maintaining that Swan-like thinness) and running on crowded Urban streets. Car exhaust? Bah! Nothing!

Not:
Running on the beach. Who needs the ocean when you can have asphalt?

Hot:
Angel. The tube station and it's environs, where I live.

Not:
The phrase "daddy's little angel", the angel emoticon, and the slutty angel Halloween outfit. I'm reclaiming Angel for Islington!


Hot:
My bicycle. Potentially, the sexiest thing ever. She is 80's fabulous, white with red stripes a 10 speed racing bike. WITH 90's kellogg's cereal box rooster ornaments on the spokes..(or so my British friends tell me) If I go on, this will slowly become a sort of personal-ad-sounding and maybe even slightly pornographic. Which is not okay, because she's MINE, bitches.

So far, no accidents. I've been bicycling around London for the past day, and yes I'm very proud of the fact that I'm still in one piece.

Not:
Sorry, nothing even vaguely un-hot about my bicycle. Although, I'm shopping around for a name...any suggestions?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your last sentence reminded me of a T-shirt some of my old fraternity brothers had taken to wearing...

http://www.christianshirts.net/designs.php?id=159

Want an explanation?
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/194234076?ltl=1160654722

It makes me very, very angry.

Anyway, glad you haven't fallen off a bus.

FCH said...

(vomiting..)

Makes me very very angry as well, K.

Thanks for the heads up, although I hope noone thinks my reclamation of Angel is anything like those bastards' movement.

On a slightly irrelevant note though, I think we should phase out the rainbow entirely out of symbol-dom...because it's lame. And should stay where it belongs. On My Little Ponies.

My Mouth said...

You can call your bicycle, "Gay-Friendly Two Wheeled Pride Friend."

That's what I call my bicycle.

j.ho said...

You can call the bike racy. Yeah, I got nothing. Love you and miss you. Why do you insist on maintaining a pond between us!?!

Anonymous said...

I want to see a photo of your bike please jajajajaja Keep posting