I am a nerd.
Keep in mind that I don't consider this to be a bad word. It's never stopped me from engaging in debauched behavior, nor enjoying myself to excess in various parts of the world.
But this thought, nevertheless, occured to me the other night, in a very posh bar somewhere near Goldman Sach's headquarters in London. I'm a few mixed drinks into the evening and I'm chatting with my friend's colleagues, all bankers.
10 minutes later, I'm almost in a fistfight with one of them. About grammar.
In more sober hindsight, it occured to me that 1) the girl that started the debate had what I've learned is an "un-posh" accent, and must've had a chip on her shoulder about it 2) I should really never ever do such things in social settings, ever ever again.
But I digress. The fight started because she said that "AMERICAN ISN'T ENGLISH."
This is my favorite fight to pick. No, American isn't English English, but i'll be damned if any linguist can tell me we speak an entirely different language. Structurally? The same. Spelling? Yeah, variations. Accent? sure, they've got the upper hand there. But I will not let Brits think they have the monopoly on the entire English language.
This is what I'm calmly trying to explain to her when I tap into her apparent massive insecurities.
"I speak a dialect of English, just like you speak a dialect of English," I say.
She turns slightly pink in the face.
"I may not speak the queen's english, but We are More Correct because we invented it!" (lame, lame argument).
I mumbled something about cockney rhyming slang, when her phone rang. At this point, I turn to a French friend who is sitting on the other side of me, ever so slightly scared of the whole conversation...
"Je m'excuse, mais, j'adore disputer..." She overhears this. "THAT'S it! I can't handle this! I know you're talking about me!"
I tried to translate to her that I was just excusing myself, and saying that I loved to argue, but all reason was lost on this one. I had another drink and bounced down Fleet Street.
........
Confirming my nerd-ness is my recent acceptance to a law program here, at the School of Oriental and African Studies in Islamic Law...I'm excited as hell, and almost late for my first class.
So, I'll be in London for the next year. Now it's your turn to visit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
London for a year. Interesting. I was about to ask if you were coming home for any holidays...then I remembered that I don't live there anymore either. It's not really either of our 'homes'. So I dunno.
Post a Comment