Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Give your American librarian a hug. Now.

The numbing has begun.
It's that old "I'm in school" feeling...

(the Po)



Much like Hopkins, I'm always walking around with a coffee my hand, looking busy, and of course spilling the coffee all over myself. Difference being, French people stare at me like a freak whereas at Hopkins it was something like, "There she goes again"

Library culture is a bit of a disappointment here. The Sciences Po library sucks, and the librarians are surly as hell. Actually, that's an understatement.
They're just mind-blowingly mean people.

I've come very close to burning a French flag and a pile of outdated political science books in a sacrificial pyre in front of the front desk, then spitting on the flames, all while singing the Marseillaise. I swear to god, if they give me the French shrug as a response to a question ONE MORE TIME...

(For the nerds that are reading this: I just got me a library card to a nearby library:
Yep, it's listed under "greatbuldings.com" and I'm really excited.)

Little to report, except a revision to the bit on my last posting about French men being/looking gay. After a bit of thought,I've decided like it's not even one particular thing, like external appearance or general comportement, and I hate to rely on those stereotypes to describe why it's so unclear for me. I mean, right, I knew/hoped that French men wouldn't be like the belching, natty-bo drinking American men I know and love.
In fact, it's almost inexplicable. You'll just have to come here and look, why, more than once, I've stuck two feet squarely into my mouth, assuming French male friends of mine either were/weren't gay.

Good thing I don't have to worry too much about interaction with men-the social life at Sciences Po is as lackluster as at Hopkins, EXCEPT for the planned "soirees" at sweet clubs around Paris. Basically, you can see that toolbag in your history class go insane, danse on the bar, take off his shirt, and start rubbing his hands through his chest hair suggestively. "Hilarious" is also an understatement.

For example:



until next time,
restez 'tranqs'

-F

1 comment:

Xiao-bo said...

francesca! yay for your blog! i cannot believe social life at science-po is as bad as hopkins. cannot. believe. it. at least you don't go to class with guys who wear frayed khaki shorts and man-sandals until mid-november.

although...that dude...is that a FLABBY sixpack?